Andreas M. Lazaris works as a Vascular and Endovascular Surgeon in Athens. He is a Professor of Vascular Surgery in the Medical School of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens. He works in the Vascular Surgery Department of Attikon Teaching Hospital in Haidari, Athens.
He is an MD and Ph.D. holder from the Medical School of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens. He is a certified Vascular Surgeon since 2002 when he passed his CSST exams. By 2004 he is a certified Vascular Ultrasound specialist by the Greek State Authorities. Since 2009 he is a member of the European Boards of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery (FEBVS) and since 2016 a member of the American College of Surgeons (FACS). He is a member of the Board of the Hellenic Society of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery and a member of the Board of the Hellenic Society of Phlebology. He is a member of the Athens Medical Association and a member of the General Medical Council (UK).
From 2002 until 2004 he worked in the United Kingdom. In particular, from 2002 up to 2003 he was employed as a Specialist Registrar (LAS) in the Vascular Surgery Department of the Leicester Royal Infirmary in Leicester, and from 2003 to 2004 as a Senior Research Fellow (Senior Registrar Level) in the Vascular Unit of the St. Mary’s Hospital in London.
Since 2005, he has been a member of the teaching Faculty of the Undergraduate Programme of the Medical School of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens. He is also a member of the teaching Faculty of Postgraduate Programmes of the Medical School of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, and of the Medical School of the University of Thessaly. His scientific and writing activity includes authorship in more than 70 scientific publications in various scientific journals, authorship in more than 10 chapters in medical books, and participation in about 90 scientific announcements in various congresses. He has been a speaker in more than 100 round tables and teaching lectures and activities. He has participated in more than 10 scientific protocols including randomized controlled trials.
Clinical activity / interests
Dr. Lazaris’ clinical practice involves all the spectrum of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery. His special clinical interests include:
- Lower limbs peripheral arterial disease, with a special interest in the distal and ultradistal revascularization procedures to the arteries of the calf and foot, to salvage legs with severe limb ischemia, especially in patients suffering by diabetes mellitus. A large portion of his work involves redo procedures after previous failed revascularization attempts.
- Aortic aneurysmal disease, with a special interest in pararenal, suprarenal and thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysms. He is also interested in the repair of short and long-term complications of aortic surgery, including aortic graft infections and para-anastomotic aneurysms.
- Carotid artery disease, with a special interest in the urgent (within 14 days post-ischemic stroke) and emergency (within 72 hours post-ischemic stroke) carotid endarterectomy. He is also interested in the treatment of patients suffering from carotid body tumor.
- Thoracic outlet syndrome, including young patients with effort thrombosis of the subclavian vein (Paget Schrotter syndrome), with first rib resection.
- Vein disease, with all methods of minimally invasive surgery (Laser / Radiofrequency ablation, pin-stripping, microphlebectomies). Additionally, he offers sclerotherapy (liquid and foam) for the treatment of spider veins and varicose veins.
- Vascular access in renal patients, with a special interest in the treatment of complications (arterial steal syndrome, graft infections, false aneurysms)